Monday, June 6, 2011

Studying the Arts Through Experiences Abroad

My sister has been Irish dancing for 13 years. Although she went to college this year and could not dance with her dance school, they still asked her to come back and perform in the show yesterday. As I watched my sister gracefully dance on stage, I was reminded of our first night in Ireland when my sister had the opportunity to dance on stage at the Abbey Tavern.
About four years ago, my sister’s Irish dance school organized a trip to Ireland so the girls could see true Ireland so the girls could see true Irish culture and even cooler – dance there! (Lucky for me, the trip was designed for families to tag along!) My sister’s dance teacher was born in Ireland, and her parents still are very close to family and friends there. By having native tour guides, we were able to go off the beaten path and experience real local color.
My sister returned home from Ireland with a vibrant passion for Irish dance and Irish culture. It was so exciting for her to see dancers in Ireland perform in the Saint Patrick’s Day parade. It was even more thrilling for her to have gotten the chance to dance alongside a local Dublin band and Irish dancers from Ireland at the Abbey Tavern. Through observing and absorbing the true culture of Ireland, my sister has gained an increased appreciation of the talent, devotion and beauty of Irish dancers, which has led to improvements in her own dancing. While this may not have been traditional study abroad, the first-hand experiences she had taught her more about the arts of Ireland than reading from a textbook could since it ignited her passion for all things Irish.

1 comment:

  1. This can further help you in sponsoring your own education. Studying abroad can also be preferred at school levels.
    study abroad

    ReplyDelete