Monday, March 28, 2011

Learning to Live in London: An Interview with Jordan

This semester two of my good friends from high school are interning and living abroad in London. Jordan and Brad are both juniors at Washington University in St. Louis. Now with Facebook I am able to stay connected with Jordan and Brad through chat, messages and looking through their pictures. Last week I talked to Jordan about his experience abroad so far.
Christine: Why did you decide to study abroad?
Jordan: My older cousin studied abroad in London and said it was amazing. I've always thought it would be really fun, especially since my school is pretty lame. Additionally, my program puts me into a full-time internship, so it's really good work experience and looks really good on my resume. Finally, unless I end up working here, this is pretty much my best chance to get to live outside of the United States. I wanted to see how the other half lives.
Christine: Why did you pick London?
Jordan: I chose London because it's the only location I could go abroad through my school that didn't have a language requirement. To go to Spain (where I wanted to go initially), I would have had to have taken a ton of Spanish, and the language courses at my school leave room to be improved.
Christine: What have you enjoyed most about your experience so far?
Jordan: I really like being in the middle of a big city. I grew up in the suburbs (Langhorne, Pa.) and go to school in the suburban area on the western border of St. Louis, so being in a major city like London has been both unique and entertaining.
Christine: Have you faced any challenges (homesickness, language barriers, cultural barriers)?
Jordan: For the most part I haven't had to deal with any of the above. Once a day, I get involved in some sort of tiff with co-workers about some sort of America vs. England cultural difference, but it has never been an actual issue.
Christine: Do you have any funny stories you want to share?
Jordan: My roommate looks a lot like Jason Biggs, the star of American Pie. We went to a small bar in Prague where the 5 locals who were there only spoke Czech, and as soon as we got in they started laughing. We couldn't figure out what was so funny until one of them wiggled their pointer finger around and started saying "Where's your apple pie?" I'm glad to know that even Eastern Europeans benefit from the finer points of American culture.
Christine: What have you learned so far while abroad?
Jordan: Most of the things that I've learned relate to living in a big city (stand up on trains if you are drunk late at night, because if you sit down you'll fall asleep and end up in the suburbs 2 hours outside of London with no way to get back since the tube stops running at 12:30 a.m. and it's now 2:00 a.m. and you have to be up for work at 7:30 a.m.), understanding cultural differences and general life lessons (sometimes you are just as tired after going to bed at 11:30 a.m. and waking up at 7:30 a.m. as you are if you go to bed at 3:30 a.m. and wake up at 7:30 a.m...so go to sleep at 3:30 a.m.).
Thanks for taking the time for the interview and for allowing me to use pictures from your Facebook, Jordan! Enjoy the rest of the semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment