Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Learning Through Language Barriers in China: An Interview with Alexis

My roommate from the past three semesters decided to study abroad in China this past semester, leaving me with a single. Alexis chose to study abroad in China because she wanted to explore a part of the world she thought she wouldn’t have another opportunity to see.

Christine: Why did you decide to study abroad?
Alexis: As a Global Studies major, I was required to study abroad for one semester or for a summer or winter session.  I chose to study for an entire semester because I felt that by spending four months in a country I would gain a better understanding of and greater appreciation for the culture and language of my chosen country.  Also, I always had a desire to travel and I wanted to experience a different way of life to broaden my horizons.

Christine: Why did you pick China?
Alexis: In many of the Global Studies courses, we would frequently compare the United States with China and discuss the important role of China past and present in international relations.  I wanted to experience first-hand the culture of Chinese society and infrastructure of Chinese business.   China is a very powerful country with a rapidly growing economy and thousands of years of history.  It has beautiful scenery and exquisite architecture.  I chose Shanghai because, as a city, it embodies the characteristics of globalization and is becoming a global city with plenty to offer.

Christine: What have you enjoyed most about your experience so far?
Alexis: My trip has been filled with nothing but positive experiences, and I have been truly enjoying every minute of studying abroad.  I live in a residential area complete with local charm and delicious Shanghainese dishes.  Every person I meet – from shop keepers to servers to people on the street – is very friendly and eager to help me improve my Chinese along with my knowledge of local culture.  Shopping at markets is a lot of fun especially when you are able to successfully bargain down the price.  Even simply exploring downtown Shanghai proves to be an adventure filled with exciting experiences and breath-taking views.

Christine: Have you faced any challenges (homesickness, language barriers, cultural barriers)?
Alexis:  The main challenge I face is definitely the language barrier.  Sometimes just trying to order dinner is a daunting task.  Hopefully with my intensive Chinese classes and the patience of the people in Shanghai, the language barrier will not seem like such a challenge in a month or two.  There are many cultural differences between the United States and China, however, they seem less and less apparent the more time I spend interacting with local residents and students.

Christine: Do you have any funny stories to share?
Alexis:  For me almost any interaction with local people has an amusing ending.  They frequently laugh at my attempt to speak to them in Chinese (but their laughter is almost always them laughing with me not at me) and it usually ends in me having to do charades in order for them to at least partially understand my requests.

Christine: What have you learned so far?
Alexis:  I have learned a lot about basic living in Shanghai such as navigating my way around the city and local customs.  Some things that are different from the U.S. are that you do not tip any server, bar tender, taxi driver etc. and that as a pedestrian you absolutely do not have the right of way even if the walk sign is green.

Because the school system is different than in the U.S., Alexis is still studying abroad. She will be home June 19, so hopefully she has some adventures in China still ahead of her!



No comments:

Post a Comment