Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Advice From Former Study Abroad Students

Are you still on the fence about whether you should study abroad? Are you scared?
Throughout the semester we heard from various students about their study abroad trips. Most of them are already home and missing their semesters abroad. Based on their experiences, they all agree that if you are considering studying abroad, you should! Hear some more of their advice!
Jordan: Absolutely do it. Find friends to go with you so that you have travel buddies. Plan trips far in advance so that you save money. Lock up your passport in hostels, and take advantage of not yet being in the working world.
Aubrey: My advice would be to explore all of your options and make sure you choose the program that fits you best. I think I was successful in doing this. My program suits my lifestyle very well, and it makes living in a different country a lot easier. I know plenty of people who didn't really choose well or went to a specific place because their boyfriend or their friends were going there, and a lot of times that just doesn't work. I think that studying abroad should be about your personal experience, and you should have the opportunities to do exactly what you want to do. I would also say that if you're going to study abroad, you need to be aware of where your important things are at all times (wallet, passport, cell phone, etc.). I know so many people who have had Blackberrys and credit cards stolen, and getting it straightened out is really just a nightmare. As long as you're careful, you'll avoid most problems and have the time of your life!
Ally: Definitely study abroad, however if there is an option to go spring of sophomore year or fall of junior year choose one of those. Spring of junior year is tricky because all of your friends that are seniors will be graduated when you get back and you will be a senior. You also miss out on a lot of your friends’ 21st birthday parties. Don’t go with a bunch of people you know, but it’s nice to know one or two people even if they aren’t your good friends.
Marco: Do it. It’s the best time you'll have. A bunch of my friends from Lehigh and other schools all said, they didn’t want to miss spring at -insert school here- because it’s so much fun and so-and-so happens. That so-and-so will happen year after year. You can go back as an alumnus and still experience it, but you'll never get the opportunity to "study" abroad again. I put study in quotes because the classes here are really not hard at all, and most of the time I’m out enjoying myself, not doing work like at school. Also, when you’re in a different country, immerse yourself: try the food, try to speak the language. It’s amazing how nice people are to me when I speak in Spanish, even when I’m wrong, they laugh and try to help me because they see I’m trying. Try new things because you may like something you never knew you did (like food or going out so late that you get breakfast with your friends before going home to bed since its already 8 a.m.)
Megan: I would definitely encourage students to study abroad if they have the opportunity in their college curriculums. Advice…keep an open mind at all times!
Alexis: My advice for any student wanting to study abroad is not to hesitate and do it!  Pick a country you do not think you'll have another opportunity to go and don't worry about language or cultural barriers.  Studying abroad is proving to be the most amazing, worthwhile, and valuable experience I have ever had and I am looking forward to the months that lie ahead.  I would encourage every student who has the opportunity to study abroad to take it and make the most of it.

1 comment: