Saturday, May 28, 2011

Self Created Study Abroad Program (Also Known As Vacation)

Like any kid I’ve always enjoyed summer vacation. This summer as I am on the cusp of not being a kid anymore, I have a science journalism/communications internship with Johnson & Johnson (an opportunity I am REALLY thrilled to have). As my summer consists mainly of the hustle and bustle of the 9-5, I think I will appreciate my vacation to Italy as I have never appreciated a vacation before.
My family and I have had several planning sessions to ensure that we fit in everything everyone wants to see in Florence, Rome and Tuscany. While I am not studying abroad in the sense that I will not be taking classes, I still consider travel a form of study abroad. I will be visiting museums to gain an appreciation of the evolution of art and culture in Italy. I will be shopping in local markets and dining in authentic restaurants to truly learn the Italian way. I think learning and understanding the history of a place leads to more astute observations of the present day situation. This is what I strive to do in order to fully absorb the Italian experience. While this is supposed to be my time for relaxation this summer, I doubt I will be doing much of that. We will be running around trying to do everything possible – and that’s the way I want it!
Do you think the cast of the Jersey Shore (who have been causing trouble in Florence) will want to join me on the cultural adventure?

No comments:

Post a Comment