Monday, April 11, 2011

Seeing Seville: An Interview with Marco

Just days after I returned home from my study abroad trip to Seville, one of my good friends from both high school and Lehigh embarked on his semester-long study abroad program to Seville. Marco is loving his experiences abroad from living with a host family, to taking weekend trips to other European countries, to immersing himself in the history and culture of Seville. He and I sometimes chat on Facebook and talk about places we both went, experiences we both had, and how (to our surprise) the gossip and silly activities from high school Spanish class actually prepared us to live and survive in a foreign country!
Christine: Why did you decide to study abroad?
Marco:
I wanted to study abroad because I’ve taken Spanish for five years in high school and three years in college, and I wanted to actually try and use it. Also, there isn’t really any other time in your life when you can just go to Europe for four or five months and travel around on weekends wherever you want with your friends.
Christine: Why did you pick Spain?
Marco: I picked Spain because I’ve always taken Spanish classes, so it was either Spain or somewhere that speaks English, which would be a lot more boring.  Specifically I picked Seville because it’s a smaller city than Barcelona and Madrid, but it’s still decently sized with so much to do.
Christine: What have you enjoyed the most about your experience so far?
Marco: I’ve enjoyed seeing all the different cultures of everywhere I’ve been. Southern Spain is so different from Madrid, which is so different from Barcelona. Also, after a trip to Paris I realized that was a completely different culture as well – just the way people interact, what they do in their spare time, as well as the different types of food they eat.
Christine: Have you faced any challenges (homesickness, language barriers, cultural barriers)?
Marco: Every day at lunch and dinner the challenge I face is figuring out what I’m eating. luckily, I’ll eat anything, so I like it all. But I ask my host mom what it is, and she rattles off some Spanish name and some Spanish ingredients that I don’t know because I’ve never learned half the food words. So I just say, “Ohhh sí, sí” and eat it, clueless as to what it is. One day I looked it up afterwards – it was pig’s cheek!
Christine: Do you have any funny stories you want to share?
Marco: Our orientation group taught our guide and his best friend a few things about America, like how to pound and be 'bros' so now when we see them they say (in a weird Spanish accent), “What’s up, bro?” It’s hilarious.
Christine: What have you learned?
Marco: I’ve learned a lot about food; I can look at a menu now and know what everything is (quite the accomplishment since I didn’t even know the word for menu when I got here)! Also I’ve learned about the culture here: how it’s not normal to say yes please or no thank you. It’s just yes or no. When you say por favor (please) or gracias (thank you) you get weird looks. Also, when ordering at bars here, they all speak to one another with commands, which would be considered rude in the U.S.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Marco! Enjoy the rest of the semester in Seville! (Check back in a few days to read about some exciting news in Bethlehem.)

No comments:

Post a Comment