Tuesday, April 5, 2011

When in Rome (or Florence): An Interview with Ally and Aubrey

Of all the people I personally know studying abroad this semester, the most number of people went to Italy. My cousin Ally (a junior at Franklin and Marshall College) and friend Aubrey (a junior at Lehigh) are both studying abroad in Florence. Here is what they have to say about their experiences so far!
Christine: Why did you decide to study abroad?
Ally: I studied abroad mostly because everyone I knew who studied abroad had the time of their lives and told me it was an experience I absolutely needed to partake in. I also go to a small school (about 650 students in a grade) I love it but I wanted to get away for a semester to experience the world and meet new people. Every school structures their classes in a particular way so it’s also interesting taking classes of a different style.

Aubrey:
Originally, I looked into studying abroad because all three of my roommates were planning on doing it, and I didn't want to be at Lehigh by myself. I also didn't really think that I was going to be able to afford it, so originally it wasn't an option. However, after looking into it better, I realized that it was more affordable than I thought, and from that point on I knew that this was an opportunity I just couldn't pass up.
Christine: Why did you pick Italy?
Ally: I chose Italy because I have been here before, and I really enjoy it. It’s very pretty and has so much to see and isn’t too far away. Also, studying anywhere in Europe is a great idea because you can do a lot of traveling at a low price. I have already been to Venice, Siena, Barcelona, and Amsterdam. The particular program I am in Italy offered classes I could take towards my major and a program at a small school (NYU Florence) that contains all American study abroad students.
Aubrey: Italy is a place that I've just always wanted to go. I guess through watching movies and seeing pictures of Italy, I just fell in love with it. I've also wanted to learn Italian for a long time, but it wasn't offered in high school and isn't offered at Lehigh either, so learning it has been amazing.
Christine: What have you enjoyed about your experience so far?
Ally: My experience so far has been awesome – I love meeting new people. Every time I go out I meet someone new. I also love traveling – Venice was beautiful and so was Barcelona. My good friend from school is studying in Barcelona for the semester so I got to see her. We both met in Amsterdam – we saw the Anne Frank House, the Van Gough Museum, the Heineken Brewery, and some other very unusual sights. Then, we traveled to Barcelona together, and she showed me around. The night life there is unbelievable. There are tons of bars and clubs that are literally open all night long.
Aubrey: It's so hard to say what I've enjoyed the most because I have honestly enjoyed almost every single second. I've traveled a decent amount throughout Italy (I've been to Pisa, Siena, Lucca, San Gimignano, Verona, and Venice so far). Each and every city was amazing. I honestly cannot believe that I'm lucky enough to be experiencing so many different, yet beautiful, cities. Besides the traveling, the food, the people, and the language have all been great, as well.
Christine: Have you faced any challenges (homesickness, language barriers, cultural barriers)?
Ally:
There are few cultural barriers but they are very easy things to adjust to. It is a very weird feeling being so separated from life at home. I looked at the top 10 songs on iTunes the other day, and I only knew one of them! Sometimes I want to go home for a weekend to hang out with my friends but I would not call it homesick. Sometimes I crave certain foods or certain activities but there are places here where you can find American things, so it’s not an issue.
Aubrey: My roommates and I faced a few language barriers when we first arrived, but besides that I, personally, haven't had any problems with things like cultural barriers or homesickness. The language barrier soon became less and less of a problem because I'm taking an intensive Italian class every day.
Christine: Do you have any funny stories to share?
Ally: Well apparently I look Italian? People come up to me speaking in Italian all the time so now that I am accustomed to it I play this game where I just pretend I am Italian and understand what they’re saying then communicate by using the words that I know. I know some Italian, I learn more everyday just from being here, but sometimes I have to give in and tell them I speak English. One time two American girls who did not know Italian very well thought I was Italian. They were looking for directions and said, “Parle inglese?” (Do you speak English) I responded, “Si,” and they spoke slowly and pointed a lot. They thought I was a local. Flying with Ryanair was quite the experience. First of all they have a ridiculous carry-on weight limit. I’m not sure the exact weight, but it’s very light. So people have figured out to put on about half of the clothes they are bringing with them. Everyone is layered up. It looks so funny especially because the day I was traveling was not very cold. The people on the plane were so loud; it was louder than a public bus! They were also just hanging out in the aisles, drinking beers, and singing – at 10am. The flight attendants constantly were coming up and down the aisles handing us items like magazines then taking them back and offering items for sale. When we landed music played like at the horse races and everyone clapped and cheered.
Aubrey: Most of the funny things that have happened stem from not knowing the language that well and doing the wrong thing.
Christine: What have you learned so far while abroad?
Ally: I have learned to become more spontaneous and adaptable. Things happen that you just can’t control sometimes, but everything always works out. I have also learned that you have to respect other people’s cultures and not fight some of their customs, especially when you are living in their country. Even small things like not paying with a credit card or stepping aside when someone is walking down the sidewalk towards you, you need to abide by for respect reasons. It also opens you up to seeing everything from a broader perspective. A lot of times people get so caught up in their own life “bubble” that they forget how much is out there beyond it.
Aubrey: I've learned that Italians are very laid-back and caring people. Everything in Italy is centered around either family, food or soccer. They are very loving and passionate people, and I think that plays a big part in why I love it here so much. I've also learned that I'm more independent than I thought I was. When put to the test, you can do almost anything on your own.

I learned from Aubrey’s Facebook that she will be home 40 days from today! Enjoy the rest of the semester girls! Thanks for letting me use the pictures :)


No comments:

Post a Comment