Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Studying Abroad Promotes Working Abroad Post Graduation

As I sit in the library avoiding one of my 15-page final papers, I am baffled that I am already faced with the end of the semester and another round of finals. When did I become an almost senior?! Where did this semester go?

As much as I am feeling sad about the departure of my junior year of college, my friends who are abroad are even more upset. Not only are they, too, going to be seniors with me, but they also are leaving the cities abroad that they have grown to love. As sad as it is to be leaving these magical cities that have opened so many doors for them, study abroad is not the end.
A recent study suggests that students who studied abroad during their undergraduate years are 15 percentage points more likely to work abroad after graduation. The link between studying abroad and working abroad was difficult to establish as an article from The Chronicle of Higher Education explained: “In other words – I surmise – students who study abroad are more likely to come from backgrounds (affluent homes, well-educated parents) that are also associated with a higher-than-average interest in working in a foreign country later in life. That means it’s hard to tell whether the former activity influenced the latter.”

The study suggests that students return to the foreign cities where they participated in study abroad programs possibly due to the development of skills that are desired in that country, the student’s fascination with the culture or the return to a romantic partner.

Whatever the case may be, as those of you abroad begin preparing for your journeys home, don’t fret. This doesn’t have to be goodbye. This time away from your study abroad location can be a time of reflection and appreciation. It can help you foster a deeper love for the city you have grown to call home. This can make your return that much sweeter.

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely attest to this article. After I studied abroad in Taiwan I ended up living there for 2 years teaching English! I had an awesome time and it was studying abroad that started it all =)

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete