Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Glad to be Home; Sad to be Home

Hi all! My name is Christine, and I am a junior at Lehigh University. Over winter break I took a three credit winter session class in Seville, Spain. I loved every second of it! Between classes I got to explore cathedrals and royal palaces, shop in the streets, indulge in churros with hot chocolate and attend a soccer game. My program lasted for only two weeks because it was between semesters, and it made me really jealous of students who have the opportunity to study abroad for a full semester.
I sometimes think I have the “travel bug” – my dad’s worst nightmare! With so many places in the world, I want to see them all and absorb the different cultures. Lehigh’s Study Abroad Office offers more than 200 programs in about 60 countries! Unfortunately for me I have too much going on at school to devote an entire semester to learning and fun abroad.
I came into college undecided about my major and career possibilities. After sophomore year I started to gain insight into my interests and future aspirations. I have always loved to learn, which led me to pick a wide range of majors and minors. I am a Journalism and Science Writing major with a Business minor, a Biology minor and a Health, Medicine and Society minor. So the prospect of leaving Lehigh for a semester and still graduating in four years is completely out.
I guess that is my first piece of advice: Upon entering college, solidify your desires to go abroad. Picking the destination is not as important as factoring in the time during these four short years of college.

No comments:

Post a Comment