Monday, January 24, 2011

Internships Abroad

The beginning of the semester is always stressful. I am facing numerous changes and responsibilities. Just after getting used to living at home again, I have been uprooted and placed back in the college scene. In addition to adjusting to new classes and new professors, I am trying to find time to balance homework, social commitments and extracurricular activities. On top of all that, it is crunch time for finding a summer internship!
Last summer I had an unpaid internship editing patient-friendly medical journal articles. The experience was so rewarding because it really helped improve my writing and editing skills. Since my career path is not yet solidified in my mind, I have an idea for something different this summer. I want to intern at a pharmaceutical or biotechnology firm. For me, geographic location of the internship is important because I am hoping it will give me a foot in the door at a company in this scarce job market.
For those of you simply looking for an internship to increase skills and add to your resume, why not consider an internship abroad? This is a great opportunity for students who cannot study abroad for a full semester during the school year for financial reasons, major requirements or athletic obligations. This type of study abroad allows you the opportunity to gain real-world experience in both the work force and the self-enrichment department. While applying what you’ve learned in school and boosting your marketable skills, weekends are free for sightseeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment