Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Experience in Spain

Despite being delayed three days by the blizzard-like conditions after Christmas, I traveled to Spain over winter break to participate in the Lehigh in Spain program. Because of the snow, I missed most of the allotted time in Madrid. The majority of my trip was spent in Seville. In between our scheduled class times, we saw churches, royal palaces, museums, Roman ruins and even a soccer game! The Cathedral of Seville was one of the most aesthetically beautiful churches I have ever seen. There is also a bell tower that we climbed to view the city from above. While I loved doing these touristy things, I had just as much fun doing everyday things. Observing people while I walked the streets and having a leisurely long lunch before a siesta were favorite activities of mine.

Everyone on our program lived in a home stay during our time in Seville. Even though I had not spoken Spanish in two years, I instantly remembered everything when I was thrust into a living situation with a woman who spoke no English. It was so rewarding to realize that I could communicate what I needed and understand what was being said to me. The home stay was such an eye-opening experience because it really helped me appreciate the culture of Spain.

La Giralda: the church bell tower
The Cathedral of Seville

No comments:

Post a Comment