Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Unexpected Opportunities

Although my Spain program was only two weeks long, I decided to go because I thought that would be my best and only option. Upon returning to school, I was presented with an amazing opportunity. I had been nominated by a professor to apply for the Martindale Student Associates Program. This was quite an exciting prospect and an honor! This program enables students to travel to a foreign country to learn about an economic, business, cultural, domestic or international issue first-hand. After intensive research, the twelve students return to the U.S. and write a journal article about their topic to be published in the program’s journal. This year the program is focusing on Greece!

Only 12 students are selected to participate in this program. Upon applying I knew I had stiff competition, but I figured why not try? Sadly I was not one of the 24 students asked to further discuss my interest in an interview. While this is disappointing, it’s not the end of the world.
It just goes to show you that unexpected opportunities are always around the corner. Keep your eyes and ears open for chances to study abroad and expand your horizons. Some opportunities may fall into your lap. Others might pass you by if you aren’t proactive in pursing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment