Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Study Abroad to the U.S.

According to Vistawide, around 36 percent of U.S. students who study abroad go during junior year of college. In our country study abroad is almost trademarked as a necessary college experience. Once our parents have gotten used to living without us and trusting our abilities to fend for ourselves, they seem to be ready to ship us off to foreign countries to experience the world. This is not the case in other countries. Many countries see study abroad as a way to learn English – the younger, the better.
A Korea Joongang Daily article reported that recently there has been a decline in study abroad participation among elementary, middle and high school students. Between the years of 2008 and 2009, Korea experienced a 33.7 percent decline in study abroad. The biggest decrease was in elementary school students. The reasons for the drop off may be the global financial situation or improved domestic English education.
As I read this article I was astounded by the huge decrease in study abroad, but mainly I was in shock that elementary school students could leave their families and survive in a foreign country with a language barrier. As a 21-year-old, I talk to my parents every day. Although I was only in Spain for two weeks, there were a few days that I experienced homesickness because I couldn’t make the expensive call home! If I struggled with this after living away from my parents for three years at college, how do kids who can barely cross the street by themselves do it?!
In high school I remember those ever-exciting two weeks when the German exchange students came to visit. You would walk in the hallway and not recognize someone and whisper to your friend: “Do you think that’s one?” I guess as a high schooler the experience would be a good pre-college trial of living away from home. I think the reason most U.S. students study abroad as juniors is because they are one year closer to graduating, and study abroad gives them an extra ounce on fun and freedom. Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment